Did you know ninety percent of kids don’t eat the recommended amount of veggies? Birds Eye Vegetables and Nickelodeon’s Sam & Cat Star Jennette McCurdy have been on a mission to put play back on the plate and get families to Rewrite the Dinnertime Rules. They’re encouraging kids to play with their veggies and take charge when it comes to dinnertime, in an effort to learn to love eating healthier.
- When kids are involved, they’re more likely to eat their creations. Let the kids help with the shopping, choosing of the recipes, prep and cooking of the meals. Have them choose the veggies they want to eat for dinner (encourage a variety of colors and flavors) and which they want to pack in their lunch.
- Have family playtime with veggies! Kids can create rainbows on their plate with veggies or make smiley face pizzas – use mini whole wheat pitas as the base and let the kids add marinara sauce, reduced-fat cheese and use veggies to make faces.
- Veggies can be used in surprising and delicious ways! Make veggie smoothies (mixed veggies with yogurt, OJ and honey) or refreshing popsicles (carrots and OJ). You and your kids will be amazed at all the cool ways you can eat your veggies.
- Amp up the cool factor of veggies. Celebrate veggies and how delicious and fun they can be by always using positive words when talking about them. It helps to bring up some of the kid’s favorite stars, such as Jennette McCurdy of Sam & Cat, who love eating veggies for dinner.
- Combine new veggies with a few simple ingredients to make familiar dishes. Kids love corn and peas served with butter and salt. Try expanding their palate by making pea guacamole, corn salsa or other unique creations that combine old favorites with healthy veggies.
Click here to visit Birds Eye’s website for kid-friendly recipes.
Click here to Like Birds Eye on Facebook.
Click here to Follow Birds Eye on Twitter.
WIN: 24/7 MOMS and Birds Eye are giving away 3 FREE Product Coupons for Product of the winners choice.
Enter for a chance to win using the Rafflecopter entry form below. For every entry you do it’s an extra entry to win.
US entries only and one entry per person. Winner will be chosen on November 2, 2013.