I admit it I enjoy the ease of my open and dump recipes, the ones that call for canned foods. Even with the use of canned foods I know that my family is still eating a healthy and fresh flavorful meal according to the University of California, Davis study, many canned fruits and vegetables have the same nutrients as their fresh or frozen counterparts. This latest information on serving canned foods is why I said “YES” to partner with Cans Get You Cooking and share with you my own experience of serving canned foods to my family.
“Cans Get You Cooking” is a program dedicated to spreading the message that the ironclad technology of cans seals in freshness, flavor, nutrition, and goodness so that you can create meals you feel good about serving and that your family will love.
Did you know that the can is one of the best ways to get food from the farm to my family’s table. The canning process locks in foods’ freshness, flavor and nutrients at the peak of ripeness, just hours after picking. It’s field to sealed! That means I can serve canned foods anytime, and with confidence. Believe it or not the canning process used today is fundamentally the same that our grandparents and great grandparents used to naturally preserve food generations ago.
This is why when it’s time to plan my meals and stock my pantry I no longer hesitate adding my open and dump recipes to my meal planning and add canned food items to my shopping list. I can stock up on canned foods so that I am prepared for those crazy days of no time to get dinner prepared or I just want a break from spending hours in the kitchen and of course it makes the dads life a lot easier when the mom is gone to serve canned food items.
Let go of the mom guilt, simplify your meals with canned food and be re-assured you are serving your family fresh meals with ease.
Two of our favorite family Open and Dump recipes are Taco soup and 5 bean casserole
Novotny’s Taco Soup
1 medium sized onion
2 cans Del Monte whole kernel corn (drained)
2 cans Del Monte Stewed tomatoes
2 cans Bush Brothers red kidney beans
1 pkg taco seasoning
6 to 8 cups of water ( add more if needed)
Cook ground beef and drain. Add all of the ingredients and let simmer for 20 minutes or place in crock pot on low for 4 to 6 hours.
Top with grated cheese and Frito corn chips. Sour cream and salsa make a great topper as well.
Three Bean Potluck Casserole
1. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, break into medium pieces and set aside. In same skillet, brown beef and onion. Drain fat.2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. Place bacon/beef mixture in a large bowl and stir in the ketchup, sugar, vinegar, mustard, baked beans, kidney beans (with liquid) and butter beans (with liquid). Mix well.
4. Spoon casserole mixture into a 9×13 inch baking dish and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour, uncovered
MORE Recipes and Tips:
For more Canned food recipes and tips check out the below Cans Get You Cooking sites:
- “Cans Get You Cooking” Facebook page: www.Facebook.com/CansGetYouCooking
- “Cans Get You Cooking” Pinterest page: www.Pinterest.com/CansGetUCooking
- “Cans Get You Cooking” YouTube page: www.YouTube.com/CansGetYouCooking
A well-stocked “Pantry” helps you save time and get a healthy, flavorful and home-cooked meal on the table, more often. It’s homemade made easy when you stock your pantry with these canned food brands
- Allens Vegetables: http://www.allens.com/
- Bush Brothers: http://www.bushbeans.com/en_US/index.jsp
- Del Monte: http://www.delmonte.com/
- S&W: http://www.swfinefoods.com/
- Muir Glen: http://www.muirglen.com/
- Progresso: https://www.progresso.com/
- Spam: http://www.spam.com/
- Hormel Chili: http://www.hormelfoods.com/Brands/BrandWall/Hormel-chili
- Hormel Chicken Breast: http://www.hormelfoods.com/Brands/BrandWall/Hormel-chunk-meats
- Margaret Holmes: http://www.margaretholmes.com/
- Glory Foods: http://www.gloryfoods.com/
- Nestle Carnation Sweetened Condensed Milk/Evaporated Milk: http://www.verybestbaking.com/carnation/products/sweetened-condensed-milk.aspx
- Red Gold: http://www.redgold.com/
- Goya: http://www.goya.com/english/
- Icicle Seafood: http://www.icicleseafoods.com/products/salmon/
- Atlantic Natural Foods: http://www.atlanticnaturalfoods.com/index.html
- Ocean Spray (cans): http://www.oceanspray.com/Products/Sauces/Whole-Berried-Cranberry-Sauce.aspx
- Old El Paso (cans): http://www.bettycrocker.com/Products/Old-El-Paso
Disclaimer: I am part of the Mom It Forward blogger network. Mom It Forward and “Cans Get You Cooking” partnered in support of this campaign. “Cans Get You Cooking” compensated me for participation in this campaign. However, all thoughts and opinions are my own.