The Novotny’s are a Taco loving family and tend to go through many warehouse size containers of taco seasoning each year. But I now have stumble across a DIY ( do it yourself) recipe to making my very own Taco Seasoning mix thanks to Jolly MOM.
Every couple weeks or so, we have Taco Night at our house! It is one of our favorite meals and honestly, tacos are actually very healthy depending on how they are made. Making your own seasoning mix is the first step in healthy and delicious tacos. It is so easy to do and you will be skipping all the chemicals in the prepackaged stuff!
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
dash garlic powder
Place all of the above ingredients into a zip top bag or small container. It makes enough mix to season one pound of ground beef. What I do is premake a few of these to have on hand anytime we need it. When you’re ready to make tacos, this is what you do:
1. In a medium bowl, combine the ground beef with the seasoning mix.
2. Add the seasoned beef mixture to skillet over medium high heat. Brown the meat and then add a 1/4 cup of water to the skillet. Turn the heat down to low, cover the skillet and cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until beef is cooked through.
3. Have fun building your tacos!
Taco Building Tips:
1. For extra flavor, add sauteed onions and minced garlic to your ground beef just before browning.
2. Don’t use prepackaged shredded lettuce. It only takes seconds to shred your own and it honestly tastes so much better!
3. Use lots of fresh veggies like diced tomatoes, fresh salsa, corn, and others to take your tacos to another level.
3. Use whole grain taco shells. Ortega makes some yummy ones!
4. Use lean beef–they taste just as good!
For more recipe ideas visit Beauty and Bedlam!