A new adventure awaits our daughter this week as she begins her first days at college away from her home and family. Several weeks ago as her dad and I began talking about this new adventure she would begin we also began discussing the reality that she could possibly also get her MRS degree (marriage) by the time she graduates from her University. I’m sure you have heard the saying “Ring by Spring” – No, we don’t have expectations nor are we placing any pressure on her that this degree must and will be accomplished by the end of four years. However, we also want to be proactive in what that means. It does mean our daughter may begin the adventure of College dating.
With the idea of college dating on our minds my husband and I thought we should sit down and come up with a list of College dating rules for our daughters. You could call them guidelines, strong suggestions or tips. Whatever you want to call them we still feel it is important to have a discussion with your daughters about college dating and how to handle it. No, we are not trying to control our daughter and their now adult age decisions but as their parents we still feel it is our role and obligation to train, guide and encourage them as they begin a new adventure and college dating is one of those new adventures.
By being proactive with your daughters they will be prepared and ready to face this new adventure and I believe one day a young man who takes your daughters hand in marriage will thank you for creating college rules for dating for his bride.
If your daughter is about to begin a new adventure of college or post high school life feel free to steal, borrow and use our list of rules along with adding , changing or deleting to best fit your own views and rules.
One last thing before we get to those rules – this is a great date night topic for Dads to have with their daughters. So, dads take the time to arrange a special time to share your heart as she begins her new adventure.
College Rules For Dating
Steve and Trisha Novotny
1. Create a list of qualities and characteristics of the type of guyyou would like to one on one date. (give list to mom and dad). Is this the kind of guy you would want tomarry?
2. No committed one on one dating the first 3 months of College. ( give yourself time to meet other guys, become friends first in group settings).
3. Discuss with parents prior to one on one committed dating. ( Parents are a great sounding board).
4. Find an accountability partner once you commit to a one on one dating relationship. Someone you trust and can confide in that will also keep you accountable.
5. Date only guyswho values your same faith and loves God. ( this will keep you from heartache later in the dating relationship).
6. Date only guysthat treat you with respect and honor.
7. Make your boundaries clear and stick to your beliefs.
8. Date only in public places.
9. Have a date plan ( before you head out for the date know what the plan is)
10. Limit the amount of time youspend one on one vs. groups – keep a balance.
11. Limit how many dates per weekyou will go on ( no everyday dating)
12. No Drug or Alcohol Use.
13. No sex until you are married.
14. Avoid situations that increase sexual temptation.
15. Keep God first and pray for guidance.