Tis‘ the season to make, give and eat Sweet Treats in the Novotny home. Here are 6 of our favorite simple, yummy and even addictive recipes for you to try this Christmas season..
Easy Chocolate-Dipped Ginger Cookies
from: Nestle, Very Best Baking
Dipped in a melted chocolate mixture and decorated with an assortment of toppings, such as crystalized ginger or sweetened dried cherries, these cookies are a tasty way to embrace the holiday season in style.
Preparation Time: 20 min
Cooking Time: 1 min
Refrigerating Time: 20 min
Yields 36 cookies
* Wax or parchment paper
* 1 (4 ounces) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® CHOCOLATIER 62% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bar, chopped into small pieces
* 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
* 36 gingersnap cookies
* 2/3 cup finely chopped assorted toppings (such as crystallized ginger, sweetened dried cherries or cranberries and/or pistachios)
LINE tray or baking sheets with wax paper.
PLACE chocolate in glass measuring cup and follow instructions on package for melting in microwave oven. Stir in oil.
DIP one side of each cookie about halfway into chocolate mixture; allow excess to flow back into measuring cup. Place on prepared tray; repeat with remaining cookies and chocolate. Sprinkle with chopped assorted toppings.
PLACE dipped cookies in refrigerator for about 20 minutes to set chocolate. Remove from refrigerator and store in airtight container at room temperature (prolonged refrigeration is undesirable as it will cause the cookie to soften).
Cook’s Tip: 2/3 cup NESTLÉ TOLL HOUSE Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels may be used in place of bittersweet chocolate baking bar.
Holiday Pretzel Treats
from: Family Fun Magazine
Salty pretzels combine with sweet chocolate for these fun treats that make a yummy gift few can resist. (In fact, you may want to make some extras for yourself!)
- Bite-size, waffle-shaped pretzels
- Hershey’s Kiss or Hershey’s Hug
- M&M’s candy
Heat the oven to 170F. Set a number of bite-size, waffle-shaped pretzels (one for each treat) in a single layer on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, then top each pretzel with an unwrapped Hershey’s Kiss or Hershey’s Hug.
Bake for 4 to 6 minutes (the white chocolate will melt more quickly), until the chocolates feel soft when touched with a wooden spoon. Remove the cookie sheet from the oven and quickly press an M&M’s candy into the center of each Kiss.
Allow the treats to cool for a few minutes, then place them in the refrigerator to set, about 10 minutes. Place handfuls of the candies in clear plastic bags and tie on colorful ribbons.
- 1 cup (6 oz.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate, Milk Chocolate or Premier White Morsels
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- 16 pretzel rods
- NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mini Morsels and/or sprinkles, (optional)
- Additional NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Morsels for drizzling, (optional)
LINE baking sheet with wax paper.
MICROWAVE 1 cup morsels and vegetable shortening in small, dry, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on MEDIUM-HIGH (70%) power for 1 minute; STIR. The morsels may retain some of their original shape. If necessary, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring just until morsels are melted.
DIP pretzel rods about 3 inches into melted morsels, tilting bowl to easily dip. Use side of bowl to remove excess. Sprinkle with morsels or sprinkles. Place on prepared baking sheet. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until set. Store in airtight container at room temperature. Best when eaten within a few days.
FOR A FANCY DRIZZLE:
MICROWAVE 2 tablespoons of each desired morsel flavor in small, heavy-duty plastic bags on MEDIUM-HIGH (70%) power for 30 seconds; knead. Microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, kneading until smooth. Cut tiny corner from each bag; squeeze to drizzle over already dipped pretzels on baking sheet. Refrigerate and store as directed above.
• Pretzels may be dipped and drizzled in any variety of melted morsels for different looks. For example, dip them in semi-sweet chocolate and drizzle them with melted white morsels. Or dip them in milk chocolate and drizzle them with melted semi-sweet chocolate.
• Above recipe can easily be doubled, but we do not recommend microwaving more than 2 cups (12 ounces) of morsels at one time.
Sweet # 4
Berry Chocolate Cookie Tartlets
from: Nestle, Very Best Baking
- 1 1/4 cups (about 1/3 tub) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Refrigerated Sugar Cookie Tub Dough, slightly softened
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or cherries, chopped
PREHEAT oven to 325º F.
COMBINE cookie dough and flour in large mixing bowl. Divide dough into 24, 1 1/4-inch balls. Press dough into mini-muffin cups.*
BAKE for 10 minutes or until light golden brown around edges and puffy.
REMOVE tartlets from oven and immediately fill with morsels and cranberries. Cool for 10 minutes in muffin cups. Carefully remove to wire rack, do not invert; cool completely.
*If making tartlets in batches, keep extra dough in the refrigerator.
• Tartlets may be filled with your favorite combination of morsels.
• Dough can be made in advance and refrigerated.
• Create three types of Christmas cookies from just one tub of NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Refrigerated Sugar Cookie Tub Dough. Make this recipe along with two other 12 Days of Christmas Cookies recipes.
• Recipe can easily be doubled or tripled for a larger batch.
Sweet # 5
Sweet Carmel Crispix Treat
Warning: This treat is addictive.
1 pound butter
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 cups brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 boxes of 14 oz Crispix cereal
Almonds or pecans (optional)
Heat all ingredients until glossy. Pour over 2 boxes of Crispix cereal and nuts. Mix well until coated. Divide in 2-3 pans and bake in oven at 225 degrees for 1 hour mixing every 15 minutes. Spread to dry on wax paper.
Sweet # 6
Make-Ahead Chocolate Soufflés with Peppermint Bark Ice Cream
from: Nestle, Very Best Baking
Baked to perfection and topped with a scoop of peppermint bark ice cream, these chocolaty soufflés are the perfect addition to any gathering.
Preparation Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 18 min
Refrigerating Time: 24 hr
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Granulated sugar
- 2 cups (12-ounce package) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1/4 cup NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Baking Cocoa
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 container (14 ounces) Peppermint Bark HÄAGEN–DAZS Ice Cream (optional)
SPRAY eight 6-ounce ramekins or custard cups with nonstick cooking spray; coat lightly with granulated sugar.
MICROWAVE morsels, butter and baking cocoa in large, microwave-safe bowl on HIGH (100%) power for 1 minute; stir. Microwave at additional 10-second intervals, stirring until smooth. Stir in egg yolks and vanilla extract.
BEAT egg whites in large mixer bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in 1/3 cup granulated sugar until stiff peaks form. Stir one-fourth of egg white mixture into chocolate mixture to lighten. Fold in remaining egg white mixture gently but thoroughly. Spoon into prepared ramekins, filling about 3/4 full. Cover soufflés individually with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
PREHEAT oven to 400° F. Remove plastic wrap from soufflés. Place soufflés on baking sheet. Bake on center oven rack for 18 to 20 minutes or until puffed and center still moves slightly. Serve with scoop of ice cream. Serve immediately.
Cook’s Tip: If you wish to prepare batter and bake immediately, reduce bake time by a couple minutes.