by: Jeanie Cullip
24/7 MOMS Inspiration Editor
I am learning that studying and reflecting scripture is one of the best ways to grow as a Christian woman.
Here is the recipe I use to study scripture:
What you will need:
Study Bible or Bible Gateway.com
What you will need to do:
- Select a scripture to read. I like to choose the scripture that my pastor spoke on the last Sunday. This gives me something to study the entire week.
- Pray. Ask God to help you with the words on the page. Ask Him to make the scripture become alive in you.
- Read the scripture passage and then read it again. Highlight key words that stick out in your mind, those that jump off the page.
- Reflect. Write in your journal what these words mean to you.
- Apply these words to your life. What is God saying to you in this scripture?
- Pray again. Thank God for His word. Let God know what you are thinking about according to this scripture. Ask God to help this scripture be rooted within your soul.
One of my pastors used the analogy that studying scripture is like baking. You can follow the recipe and the end results are good. Over time you can add things to make your creation different and richer. So feel free to adjust the recipe to better satisfy your taste.
What is your recipe for studying scripture? Join the Scripture Study Recipe Swap on 24/7 Moms Forum or comment below.
Blessings & Giggles to you & yours,
Jeanie Cullip is a happily married, stay-at-home mom of 3 children of her own and 2 step-children. Finding joy, love & hope right in her own back yard and sharing it with her neighbors near and far. She is a freelance writer residing in Gig Harbor. Find out more on her blog Soccer Mom in Giggle Town for questions and comments please e-mail at email@example.com