Do your kids love potatoes? here are 2 Sassy and Fun meals to make with potatoes.
Recipe courtesy of Sojoumer Café, Santa Barbara, CA from the Idaho Potato website
Yield: one sandwich
- 1 Idaho® potato (70 count)
- 5 slices of slab bacon
- 1 cup Canola oil
- 2-3 tomato slices
- 1 iceberg lettuce leaf
- 2 teaspoons mayonnaise (more if desired)
- In a pre-heated 400°F oven, bake potato for 45 minutes (Slightly under done). Set aside. Take potato and cut top of potato, horizontally 1/2 inch thick. Do the same with the bottom of the potato. (Save middle for other menu items).
- In frying pan, cook 5 slices of bacon until crispy. Put on paper towel to soak up excess fat. Set aside.
- In frying pan, heat 1 cup Canola oil until approximately 375°F. Quickly fry the potato top and bottom turning once until browned. Place on paper towel to soak up excess oil.
- Place potato slices, skin down, on working surface. Put mayonnaise on one slice. Add sliced tomato, bacon, lettuce and other potato slice.
- Carefully slice in half with serrated knife.
Serve with favorite side salad.
Quick and easy twist on the retro classic!! You can also offer avocado or a meat alternative or all vegetable for vegetarians.
from the Idaho Potato website
Yield: 6 Servings
Estimated Cost per Serving*: 1.00
- 3 cups prepared mashed Idaho® potatoes
- 6 links (about 18 ounces) cooked turkey bratwurst
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut
- Mustard to taste
- Breadcrumbs (optional)
(made from Idaho® potato flakes or from fresh potatoes)
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Cover a clean work surface with an 8-inch-long piece of waxed paper. Pat 1/2 cup mashed potatoes into a 4 x 6-inch rectangle on top of the waxed paper. Place one bratwurst across the 4-inch side of the potato rectangle so that the ends hang over the edge of the potatoes.
- Using a spoon, place 1 tablespoon sauerkraut along the bratwurst. Drizzle mustard along the bratwurst, to taste.
- Gently pick up the waxed paper, using it to help roll the potato over the bratwurst to enclose it completely in potatoes. Gently transfer to a baking sheet and pat the seam closed. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs, if desired. Bake for 20 minutes or until heated through.
Do you have a fun and sassy potato recipe?