Recently, my husband wanted to try a few new meals. One of the recipes he wanted to try was a pasta dish called Spaghetti Carbonara.
When I first heard he wanted to make this recipe, I thought it would be complex and take a long time to make. However, I was surprised to find that this pasta recipe only takes as long to make as it does for the pasta to cook!
The ingredients are simple. You only need 5 ingredients for this delicious pasta dish – pasta noodles, eggs, bacon, Parmesan cheese, and garlic. Optional flavors you can add are salt and pepper, olive oil, and garnish with fresh parsley or chives.
Now try this recipe for yourself. It’s the best pasta dish you’ll ever have and just might be your new family favorite!
Spaghetti Pasta Carbonara
- Large pot
- Medium bowl
- Paper towels
- 1 lb spaghetti pasta spaghetti or fettuccine pasta noodles
- 4 large eggs
- 4-8 slices bacon diced
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Extra-virgin olive oil optional, for garnish
- Freshly chopped parsley optional, for garnish
- Freshly chopped chives optional, for garnish
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil. Remember 1 Tbsp of salt = 2 quarts of water.
- Cook the pasta noodles according to the packaging until al dente (meaning a little firm, not mushy). Then drain the pasta, keeping 1 cup of the pasta water.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and Parmesan cheese until combined.
- Put a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crispy. Transfer the slices of bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- In the same skillet, add garlic and allow it to cook for about 1 minute. Then add the cooked spaghetti and toss until fully coated in the bacon fat leftover.
- Remove the spaghetti from heat then pour the egg and Parmesan cheese mixture. Stir vigorously until creamy. Add the pasta water to keep the pasta from drying out and loosen up the egg and Parmesan sauce.
- Season generously with salt and pepper then stir in the cooked bacon.
- Optional: Drizzle with olive oil and garnish with freshly chopped chives or parsley.