If your child decided to attend college, you know that paying for it can be expensive. Many families are already feeling the pinch or students who are putting themselves through college as the tuition costs rises. The average cost of tuition and fees for the 2018-2019 school year was $35,676 at private colleges, $9,716 for state residents at public colleges, and $21,629 for out-of-state students at state schools.
Looking for ways to save on college tuition is essential. Saving money on textbooks is one way. You can do this by buying, selling, or renting textbooks easily. Deciding which option to do depends, but I’ve put a simple guide to help you make the right choice and several websites for great deals.
Check out these 5 websites to help your college student money on textbooks!
Textbook Options – Should You Buy, Sell, or Rent?
When it comes to these three options, there are several reasons why one option might be better over another option. Below I’ve listed them to help your college student decide what option would be best.
- You can get new and used textbooks.
- New textbooks will have the necessary materials you may need, such as online access codes, CDs, and DVDs.
- You have the ability to free mark up the textbooks, such as writing, highlighting, etc.
- You can always sell your textbook after you are finished with the class it is required for.
- You might get new or used textbooks.
- You may not be allowed to mark up the textbooks.
- Rented books don’t come with online access codes. You likely will have to purchase the online code separately. This is also the same with any CDs or DVDs.
- Rental periods can be flexible or not.
Resources to Get Textbooks
Direct Textbook can help you determine what online website has the best deal whether its renting or buying. It checks over 200 stores online. As well, Direct Textbook will show you who will buy your textbooks back for the most money.
Amazon will allow you to rent and sell textbooks or eTextbooks. If you have Amazon Prime or Prime Student, you get free two-day shipping. Return shipping is also free with a return shipping label. Amazon will also send you reminders when it is time to return textbooks.
Campus Book Rentals gives you the choice to choose a rental period. You can write and highlight in he books. Campus Book Rentals will also handle the return shipping for free.
Textbooks offers free shipping on any orders that are over $25. If not, then you are paying $3.99 per book. You will also have to cover the return shipping when it’s time to return the textbooks.
At Chegg you can buy your textbooks, rent, or purchase eTextbooks. You can also send in a request form to keep the textbooks longer for 30 extra days for free. Longer than that you can buy a renting extension. Chegg will cover the cost of shipping your books back when its time to return. Be sure to print out the prepaid return label when you ship the textbooks back. You can highlight in the textbooks, but you cannot write in them.