Soon enough the toy store experience will be a thing of the past. After 70 years of business, the toy retailer Toys “R” Us announced that they will be closing all of their U.S. locations, including Babies “R” Us.
Many parents are already thinking about grabbing some deals. After all, everything must go! You are likely to receive some great deals on Legos, Barbies, video games, and other kid favorites.
Take a look and see what you need to know about the closing of Toys “R” Us and how to get some great deals.
Use your gift cards now!
You need to use your Toys “R” Us gift cards immediately.
The company will honor gift cards for the next 30 days only, a spokesperson told the USA Today.
It’s likely any customer or loyalty programs will only be active for the next few weeks too.
Make sure you use any Babies “R” Us gif cards as well.
Returning items to Toys “R” Us or Babies “R” Us
Since the store is closing all items purchased are considered final sale. However, any items purchased prior to the closing sales may return any items at open locations, reports WGNO.
What discounts can you expect?
There are likely to be a lot of discounts to happen in the coming weeks. You can expect at least 25% to start off and increase in the coming weeks, reports The Washington Post.
However, it seems that not all items are part of the closing sale. A customer reported that she did not find discounts on one of the stores regarding brands of Pampers and Huggies (source from WCPO).
Before you head to the nearest toy store
Take a look at the prices online on before heading to a closing Toys “R” Us near you. Make sure you check the prices on Amazon or Walmart so you are getting a better deal. You can use the RedLaser app to compare prices.
Here are a couple other things to consider before you go as well:
- Make a list before you go so you can eliminate any impulse purchases to keep within a budget.
- Ask yourself do you really need this item you are considering purchasing. It may be a good deal, but do you truly need it?
- Before purchasing any items make sure they are in quality shape and have all of the included accessories.
- Check the warranty. It is likely that most of the warranties will not be valid since it is a liquidation sale. However, some manufacture warranties might be still good.
- If there are several locations of the toy store near you, consider vising them. You might find different levels of inventory.
- Ask the store manager about the discounting schedule. They likely know in advance, and you can plan your trip accordingly to the discount schedule.
- Prepare for crowds. Discounts such as these coming in the next few weeks will draw many people. Be sure to stick to your list and budget by not letting the crowd mentality force you into purchasing something you do not need.