Soups, stews and casseroles say winter to me – warm, yummy comfort food. What food says winter to you?
Try one of these Simple Winter Recipes on a cold winter day.
Novotny’s Taco Soup
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium sized onion
- 2 cans whole kernel corn (drained)
- 2 cans Stewed tomatoes
- 2 cans red kidney beans
- 1 pkg taco seasoning
- 6 to 8 cups of water ( add more if needed)
- Cook ground beef and drain.
- Add all of the ingredients and let simmer for 20 minutes or place in crock pot on low for 4 to 6 hours.
- Top with grated cheese and Frito corn chips.
- Sour cream and salsa make a great topper as well.
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 45 mins
- 8 medium potatoes (about 2 1/2 to 3 lb. total), peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Lowfat 2% Milk
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups (8-oz. pkg.) shredded 2% cheddar cheese, divided
- 6 slices turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled, divided
- Sliced green onions (optional)
PLACE potatoes in large saucepan. Cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook over medium-high heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender; drain.
PREHEAT oven to 350° F. Grease 2 1/2- to 3-quart casserole dish.
RETURN potatoes to saucepan; add evaporated milk, sour cream, salt and pepper. Beat with hand-held mixer until smooth. Stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese and half of bacon. Spoon mixture into prepared casserole dish.
BAKE for 20 to 25 minutes or until heated through. Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese, remaining bacon and green onions. Bake for an additional 3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
• This casserole can be assembled ahead of time and refrigerated. Cover with foil and bake at 350° F for 40 to 45 minutes or until heated. Uncover; top with cheese, bacon and green onions; bake for an additional 3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Busy Day Beef Stew
From Taste Of Home
- 8-10 Servings
- Prep: 10 min. Cook: 10 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (1 to 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 2 teaspoons browning sauce, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups cubed peeled potatoes (1/2-inch pieces)
- 6 to 8 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed, optional
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- Place roast in a 5-qt. slow cooker; sprinkle with soup mix, browning sauce if desired, salt and pepper. Pour water over meat. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove roast to a cutting board; let stand for 5 minutes. Add vegetables to slow cooker. Cube beef and return to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 1-1/2 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into stew. Cover and cook on high for 30-45 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 8-10 servings.