By: Trisha Novotny firstname.lastname@example.org
I have had days and weeks that I look at my calendar and thought, “How did I possibly allow it to get so full of all these To-Do’s and To-Go’s?” Full of appointments, commitments I said YES to, activities my kids need to attend and many other things that filled up my schedule, only to now be completely overwhelmed with how will I do it all? How will I be at three places at once? Then I ask myself, “How do I avoid a repeat of this scenario in my mom world?” My answer.
Have you ever drug three kids across a parking lot in the rain, up an elevator, down a hall, and in the door of your doctor’s office, only to find out you have arrived a half hour late to your appointment and now have to reschedule? But, you’re positive they told you 10:30, not 10:00! Or, maybe your days seem to fill up one by one, and your calendar seems to be out of control, never having any down time, never having time to prepare for the commitments you have made, never enough time for your family or for you?
1. Use only ONE calendar/planner.
2. Check your calendar/planner daily. I use daily pages to keep track of where I need to go, what I need to do, who I need to call, even what is for dinner that night.
3. Look at the BIG picture – don’t say yes or schedule something on your calendar just because the day is free. Look at your entire week to see how it will affect your week by adding in one more thing.
4. Learn to write BIG in your calendar it will give you the gentle reminder that day is full.
5. Carry your calendar/planer with you so that when in need you can quickly refer to it.
6. Write everything down – do not rely on your memory.
7. Mark off days/time for family, friends and you.
Do you have an information binder? Comment and share your binder ideas with the 24/7 MOMS
Time Waster: If I were to choose one area that I waste some of my precious time – it would have to be surfing the internet , I am sure I could justify all of my clicking from blog to blog and web site to web site but in all reality it can SUCK my time up if I am not careful. What is your TIME WASTER? Chatting on the phone for endless amounts of time, those weekly even daily TV shows you can’t pull your self away from or maybe its reading junk mail and skimming thru catalogs that you will never even order out of.
We can easily get caught up in our time waster habit not even realizing how much time we have actually lost.
1. Set a Timer and limit the amount of time you use on your habit
2. Do TWO things at once – Such as wear a head set while chatting on the phone so you can fold laundry, clean out a drawer or cupboard, cook dinner etc while on the phone. Or While watching TV fold laundry, organize your receipts, clean out your purse etc. – always think what else could I be doing.
– Keep a note pad in your car. While being the MOM taxi or running my errands it seems I always think of things I need to remember. So, I can easily write them down on my pad of paper, then tear it off and take it to my desk to be placed on my master lists.
– Use DAILY planner sheets to organize your days. I use the daily pages from The Busy Woman. These pages have sections for priorities (To Doʼs), Appointments, To Be called, Chores, Menu, and Notes. Each Sunday I sit down and fill these out so I have in writing what my week will entail. And, keep the forgetful MOM syndrome under control.