Get ready to enjoy your Christmas morning – 24/7 MOMS is about to simplify your Christmas morning brunch with these simple MOM tested recipes.
French Breakfast Puffs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons margarine, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease 12 muffin cups or line cups with paper muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg. In a separate bowl, cream together 1/2 cup sugar and shortening. Beat in egg. Stir flour mixture into shortening mixture alternately with milk. Beat well. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes. While muffins are baking, combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Remove muffins from oven and muffin pan. Immediately, dip the tops of the muffins into the melted margarine, then into the sugar/cinnamon mixture. Repeat with each muffin, until all muffin tops are covered. Serve warm.
Raspberry Almond Spiral Biscuits
You can bake these biscuits right from the freezer on Christmas morning. Serve with cream cheese and raspberry jam.
2-1/2 2-1/2cups cups(625 mL) (625 mL) all-purpose flour
2 2tbsp tbsp(25 mL) (25 mL) granulated sugar
2-1/2 2-1/2tsp tsp(10 mL) (10 mL) baking powder
1/2 1/2tsp tsp(2 mL) (2 mL) baking soda
1/2 1/2tsp tsp(2 mL) (2 mL) salt
1/2 1/2cup cup(125 mL) (125 mL) cold butter, cubed
1 1cup cup(250 mL) (250 mL) buttermilk
3 3tbsp tbsp(45 mL) (45 mL) seedless raspberry jam
1/4 1/4cup cup(50 mL) (50 mL) sliced almondalmonds
1/4 1/4cup cup(50 mL) (50 mL) icing sugar
4 4tsp tsp(18 mL) (18 mL) whipping cream
dash of Almond extract
Line 13- x 9-inch (3.5 L) metal cake pan with parchment paper (double-line if freezing) or grease. Set aside.
In bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Using pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In small bowl, whisk buttermilk with egg; add to flour mixture, stirring with fork to make soft dough. With floured hands, pat into rectangle.
Turn out dough onto floured surface; roll out to 10- x 6-inch (25 x 15 cm) rectangle. Spread with raspberry jam, leaving 1/2-inch (1 cm) border at 1 long side. Sprinkle with half of the almonds. Starting at long side with filling, roll up dough; pinch edge to seal. Using serrated knife, cut into 12 slices. Arrange, cut side down, in prepared pan. Sprinkle with remaining almonds. (Make-ahead: Wrap with plastic wrap then heavy-duty foil; freeze for up to 2 weeks. Increase baking time by about 10 minutes.) Bake in centre of 400°F (200°C) oven until golden, about 20 minutes. Remove from pan to rack. Let cool for 15 minutes.
Glaze: In bowl, whisk together icing sugar, cream and almond extract; drizzle over warm biscuits.
Breakfast Buttered Potatoes http://www.bhg.com/recipe/vegetables/breakfast-buttered-potatoes/
- 12 small red potatoes (about 3 pounds)
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Scrub potatoes thoroughly with a stiff brush. Cut potatoes into quarters. Cook potatoes in a 4-quart Dutch oven in a small amount of boiling, lightly salted water for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender; drain.
Meanwhile, heat butter or margarine in a small skillet over low heat until melted. Stir in the rosemary, if using, salt, and pepper. If using rosemary, cook and stir over low heat for 2 minutes. Gently toss cooked potatoes in a bowl with the butter mixture until potatoes are coated. Makes 12 servings.
Potato Bacon Casserole http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/detail.aspx?ID=29566
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 8 ounces bacon or turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (12 fl. oz.) * NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten or 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
PREHEAT oven to 350° F. Grease 8-inch-square baking dish.
LAYER 1/2 potatoes, 1/2 onion, 1/2 bacon and 1/2 cheese in prepared baking dish; repeat layers. Combine evaporated milk, egg and seasoned salt in small bowl. Pour evenly over potato mixture; cover.
BAKE for 55 to 60 minutes. Uncover; bake for an additional 5 minutes. Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Remember to follow baking instructions before consuming.
Tips from Very Best Baking Kitchen
TIP : Mixture can be made the day before; covered and
refrigerated. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before
baking. Some additional bake time may be needed
Party-Perfect Mini Quiches http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/detail.aspx?ID=144035
- 1 can (12 fl. oz.) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups (8 oz. pkg.) shredded mild or sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups chopped, frozen broccoli, thawed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
PREHEAT oven to 350° F. Grease and lightly flour twelve 2 1/2-inch muffin cups.
WHISK evaporated milk, eggs, flour, salt and black pepper in medium bowl until blended. Stir in cheese, broccoli and bell pepper. Spoon 1/4 to 1/3 cup of mixture into each prepared muffin cup, filling almost to rim*. Stir mixture frequently to evenly distribute ingredients.
BAKE for 23 to 28 minutes or until knife inserted near centers comes out clean and tops are lightly browned. Cool in pans for 15 minutes. Run knife or small, flat spatula around inside edges of muffin cups. Carefully remove quiches.
*NOTE: Number of quiches that you get will depend on the size of your muffin cups. Bake time may need some adjusting.
• Quiches can be made ahead and frozen. To reheat, place on baking sheet and bake in preheated 325° F. oven for 25 to 30 minutes or, place 2 to 4 quiches on microwave-safe plate and microwave on MEDIUM-HIGH (70%) power for 2 1/2 to 5 minutes or until hot.
from: Don’t panic its in the freezer cookbook
3 cups shredded Swiss cheese
12 strips bacon ( cooked and crumbled)
1/2 cup mushrooms ( chopped finely)
3 T. green onions ( sliced)
5 eggs ( slightly beaten)
2 1/4 cups light cream or half and half
Salt and pepper to taste
Dash of nutmeg
2 T. parmesan cheese ( fresh is best)
1 – 9′ unbaked pastry shell ( pie crust)
Recipe yields: on large deep dish or two smaller 9inch quiches.
Cooking day instructions:
Combine ingredients together and place in an unbaked pastry shell. Bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes just until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. let cool then wrap and place in freezer.
Serving day instructions:
Thaw completely. To reheat, bake at 350-375 degrees for approximately 20-30 minutes, or until heated through.
– I replaced the Swiss cheese with cheddar.
– If freezing, slightly under bake so the quiche is not overcooked when heated again in oven.
– To avoid over browning the crust or top during reheating, use foil around pie crust edges.